Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Miley Cyrus vs. KeKe Palmer



Miley Cyrus and KeKe Palmer both have a clear influence on today's youth via their hit TV shows. Both young ladies have chosen to expand their influence with clothing lines at Wal-mart. Being a fan of both young ladies (yes I'm a big kid) I was excited to see what both lines had to offer. I'm actually sadden to say that one line fell very short of my expectations but here's my quick summary.




Miley Cyrus - I expected that partnering with Max Azria's would give Ms. Cyrus a clear advantage, but since her style isn't too refined I figured the collection would consist of mostly trendy pieces, bright colors, bold patterns and plaid, you cannot forget plaid. I expected basic construction, nothing too detail oriented. In my opinion I feel that I did a pretty good job pegging her line. The plaid skirts were no surprise nor were the leopard leggings. The henleys and hoodies were very Miley Stewart chic as were the graphic tees. I liked the London punk influence and I will always <3 colored skinnies. The vest/tee combos seemed a tad young to me, but let's face it she has a fan base that spans various ages groups. I was most surprised by the ruffle blouse, which strikes me as more True Jackson.
KeKe Palmer - Once I read that KeKe Palmer did not actually design the line I got kind of worried about what the collection would look like. But after watching a few re-runs of True Jackson VP I was confident that True's style would translate easily. I expected a more refined, detail oriented line that focused more on wardrobe staples and tween classics that were still fun. I was deeply disappointed. When I looked at the collection I felt as if I was shopping for my 4 year old cousins. The henleys were a surprise, I don't see anything True Jackson in a henley. The use of hounds tooth left more to be desired, def wasn't feeling the leggings. The hounds tooth skirt was a step up, just thought it would be a pencil skirt, pleats strike me as more Miley Cyrus, and the addition of the suspenders kills me. Maybe if they had more variations to hit the different age ranges I would be more pleased. My sister just came in and said that she thinks the True Jackson line is for girls and not juniors. If that's true a lot would be explained...


In the end I was pulling for KeKe Palmer's line to prevail, but Miley Cyrus beat her out. But there is the possibility that Ms. Palmer's line was aimed at a different age group which would totally change my opinion. In the end it is good to see both young women doing something positive for the young girls that look up to them. If I had a daughter I'd prefer her wanting to buy their clothes over something she saw Paris Hilton in!




















No comments:

Post a Comment